Michael Geheren is an Emmy award-winning evening news producer for the largest local TV station by area in the country.
Summary of Qualifications
• Experience producing TV, digital and investigative for mid-size and large market
• Upper Midwest Regional Emmy and Edward R. Murrow Winner
• Young leader in newsroom
• Experience developing news websites
• Proficiency at Adobe Creative Suite, Edius, AP ENPS
"Think Big. Big dreams. Big risks. Big rewards."
- Al Neuharth, Founder of USA TODAY, the Newseum and the Freedom Forum
KELOLAND Television (KELO-TV, KDLO-TV, KCLO-TV and KPLO-TV)
Sioux Falls, SD (DMA #109) and Rapid City, SD (DMA #171)
June – August 2014, August 2015-Present
- Producer of #1 rated KELOLAND News at 5 and public affairs program Inside KELOLAND
- Lead digital efforts for investigative unit, contributed to several award-winning investigations
- Manage digital coverage from #1 website in the region
- Implement internal communication tool across newsroom
- Emmy and Edward R. Murrow winner, nominated for 4 Emmy awards.
Web Producer Intern
WGN-TV (Tribune Media)
Chicago, IL (DMA #3)
May - August 2015
- Managed social media for Morning News sub-brand and supported news brand during Chicago Blackhawks Stanley Cup Final series and parade
- Write and reporting for web stories on WGNTV.com
- Develop relationship with talent to support individual social media efforts
August 2013-June 2014, January 2015-Present
- Managed a complete redesign of website and content management change
- Develop training materials for staff
- Produced and developed weekly web show called Verbatim and daily web show
- Saved $4,000 annually for Student Media Board by making CMS change
Previously: Multimedia/Online Producer, Online Design Editor, Staff Writer
Digital Media Director
January 2015-May 2016
- Leading digital strategy, creating new website and managing new digital workflow
- Directed live, 30 minute newscast
- Worked with TriCaster video switcher software
- Managed production crew of 10-15 people during live show
Previously: Director, Technical Director, Floor Director
Digital Media Specialist
Centegra Health System
Crystal Lake, IL
July 2014-January 2015
- Manage social media advertising strategy
- Develop and implement social media strategy for major community health system
- Interact and pitch stories to local media
- Support content strategy for digital products and press releases
- Assist with event management and video production
The Mash - Chicago Tribune Media Group
June 2010-September 2012
- Wrote articles for weekly high school edition of the Chicago Tribune
- Produced videos, designed pages and worked on web production
- Appeared on WLS-TV's Windy City Live, Chicago Public Media's Vocalo and WGN-AM delivering a student's perspective on current events
Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication, Arizona State University
University of South Dakota
August 2013- December 2017
- Awarded the Al Neuharth Scholarship for Excellence in Journalism
- Involved with student newspaper, sustainability projects, management program at Barnes & Noble College and campus representative for Adobe
- Contributor for USA TODAY College, Huffington Post
- 2014 Online News Association Student Newsroom Journalist sponsored by Google
- Emmy Winner - Field Producer - Evening Newscast - Market 21-140
- Regional Edward R. Murrow - Producer - KELOLAND.com April 2017
- Emmy Nominee - Producer - Weekend Newscast - Market 21-140 September 2016
- Google/Online News Association Scholar September 2014
- Al Neuharth Scholar for Excellence in Journalism February 2013
"I’d like to think that my students would do what Michael Geheren, DePaul University, did when he woke up and saw that a fire at an air traffic control facility had halted traffic at Chicago’s two major airports. He messaged me and my co-chair Katia Hetter to ask: Did you want a story? I can localize it. Answer: Yes! And lucky Michael, because Katia covers travel for CNN.com, so she worked with him to shape this story. He owned it for the next two days because he pitched a followup with tips on how stranded ONA attendees could get help.
We want to be turning out students who look at the latest tools and gadgets and think: “How can I do some journalism with that?”"
-Michelle Johnson, Associate Professor of the Practice, Online Journalism, Boston University. Former editor for the Boston Globe and boston.com
"Michael is an exceptional young journalist, among 51 high school seniors selected for a college scholarship and chosen to attend the 2012 Al Neuharth Free Spirit and Journalism Conference at the Newseum. He is bright, engaging, inquisitive and a pleasure to know. He has great promise as a leader of his generation."
-Jack Marsh, former President and Chief Operating Officer of the Freedom Forum Diversity Institute.
"Michael Geheren is off to a strong start in his journalism career.
It was just less than a year ago when the Huntley High School junior initiated the online launch of his high school newspaper.
On Saturday, The Voice Online – www.huntleyvoice.com – garnered a national award, dubbed “the Pulitzer Prize of high school journalism.”"
"I didn’t get that story from a press release or an anonymous source; I got it from 12-year-old Michael Geheren of Huntley.
If you don’t know that name, you better memorize it, because I swear that kid is destined for great things."
-Lenore Adkins, Reporter, BNA Bloomberg, formerly Daily Herald.